I finished installing some new switches today. Worst thing I found in the existing wiring that I could fix myself was paint coated copper under the wire nuts. Whoever did that must think wires work off of luck that the wire nuts cut into the copper or magic or induction. Pictured below are neutrals that were paint covered. And you wouldn’t be wrong to guess that the grounds were also covered in paint. I scraped them off and cut off the tips and then installed the new switch. Hopefully overall this is an improvement to the wiring! Also: I love my iPhone’s night mode for taking photos like the below. It’s not just for night!


Neutral copper covered in paint.